Sunday, March 28, 2010

Concert at Mandalay Beach

Thought I would check out Los Lonely Boys at the beach at MB. Anybody been there for a show?



Concert at Mandalay Beach


are you planning a trip around the show, or do they happen to be there when you are staying in Vegas? Just curious. Anyhow-the shows are good there, but you want to show up early to ensure you get just the spot you want, have refreshments, and get settled. Dress in as little as you can, as if you are going anytime soon, it%26#39;ll be hotter than heck. I personally would skip this band and go see the band that they ripped off (and not a very good rip-off at that), Los Lobos. They are VERY talented, and not just pop drivel. Just my opinion though-everyone likes different things.



Concert at Mandalay Beach


I am a HUGE Stevie Ray Vaughn fan (one reason my boyfriend and I hit it off years ago), and I should qualify my last post by posting the review of the Lonely Boys CD (included is how I came about buying it) that I put in to amazon. I think it clarifies my feelings and takes some bite out of the last post (if it was indeed offensive). Here ya go:





SRV once again rolls over in his grave, January 9, 2005



Every few years some new cat comes out and is designated as %26#39;the best since SRV%26#39;(or if you%26#39;ve got your ear to the TX music circuit its is about every other month). Sadly virtually every one of these people are cheap Stevie Ray knock-offs. LLB is no different.





I originally picked up this CD when I thought it was a Los Lobos album. Nope, and back to the shelf it went. I didn%26#39;t think much of it until these folks graced the cover of some guitar mag. I picked it up and read the article - SRV influence; heavy into blues greats; new blues album; turning on a new generation to blues, etc. So I decided it was at least worth a listen, and the next time I was in the store buying CD%26#39;s I plunked down my $15 for the album and away I went.





Big mistake. It is one thing to be *heavily influenced* by a musician (a la Herndrix to SRV) and it is a whole other thing to rip a man off. HG has the same sound (and set up) as Stevie. We could let that pass but in addition, and here%26#39;s the big one, he rips off Stevie%26#39;s licks. Every time I listen I hear something else. %26#39;Crazy Dream%26#39; is probably the biggest %26#39;Cold Shot%26#39; ripoff I%26#39;ve ever heard. %26#39;Dime mi Amor%26#39; is peppered with licks from %26#39;Scuttlebuttin%26#39;, %26#39;Pride %26amp; Joy%26#39;, SRV%26#39;s cover of %26#39;Voodoo Chile%26#39; and more. The list goes on and on and on. The one thing these guys didn%26#39;t steal from Stevie is his song writing ability. Yech! The writing is absolutely horrid. I don%26#39;t know what is more insulting, the fact that these HG is a SRV ripoff (but completely lacking SRV%26#39;s spark) or the fact that these guys seem to be getting away with it. But like all other flashes in the pan, these guys too shall fade and a few years from now nobody will remember them.





To anyone who doesn%26#39;t know better I guess these guys are pretty hot. To anybody that knows and appreciated blues, these guys are plain insulting.




Cactusbetty



Now don%26#39;t be an elitist





I sorta like Los Lonely Boys and think Mandalay beach would be a great venue for a band like that. They have a nice pop (not blues) sound. Plus they they are young and still relevant.





pop/rock/blues is all about ripping off your predecessors styles.




Don%26#39;t know the band, but the beach is a great place to see it. They don%26#39;t let you bring anything in, and they give you a towel to sit on. You can also hang out in the pool. It is very intimate venue, you can get as close as you want.




Thanks for the help everyone. Cactus who knew you were such a connnaiseur of blues. Well be in town that weekend and thought we%26#39;d check out the show. Hubby is a fan of blues and plays guitar. Thought it might be fun.


  • wholesale cosmetics
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment